Well the Patriots did it again!I’m not that sporty, but I do follow the Patriots, and what I love most about them is their work ethic and teamwork. (Great teaching points!) This week we are focusing on partner work at center time, especially during math.
For young children, it is important to practice working in pairs, then small groups and then as a whole class. Often, the bigger the group, the more issues can arise, which is why partner work can be a valuable tool. Our math program offers many games that are for an individual or for partners.
We also brought out the board games last week and small groups played Chutes and Ladders, Candy Land and Connect four for something different at choice time.
You know what else is great for partners? Card games! Grab that deck from the cabinet and play a game of war or go fish!
Here’s what we are learning this week:
- Breaking apart 2 and 3 sound words
- Writing a complete sentence from a prompt
- Non-fiction on winter animals
- Skip counting by 10s and 5s to school day number
- the addition symbol
- writing numbers to 100
- nature made vs. man made
- Marine Science Center visit (1/23)
- Finish up changes in water unit
- empathy/understanding other people’s perspectives