The humid weather seems to be sticking around for a bit longer…hopefully we will stay cool and hydrated. Please send your child with a water bottle (WITH ONLY WATER) every day. Thanks!
Please send back your apple farm trip permission slips! 🙂 Looking forward to a great trip!
Here’s what we will be learning this week:
- Rhyming words – hearing rhymes, making rhymes, matching rhymes
- Concepts of Print
- Fundations Unit 1 Week 1 Tt, Bb, Ff
- Practicing proper pencil grip
- scissor practice
- Introduction of 5 frames
- describing shapes
- Finishing Unit 1 and baseline assessments
- Weather changes
- Hurricane Jose
- Preparing for weather
- Continuing to practice classroom and school rules and routines
- Second Step with Mrs. Sullivan
We had a great week last week as a class! Everyday I am enjoying getting to know your children better and seeing what they are able to do as a new kindergartner. I see they are an industrious group and like projects (yea!) and learning (woo hoo!) Last week we wrote our “Hopes and Dreams” and came up with our classroom rules.
In my classroom, I first have children brainstorm all the rules they think we should have. At their developmental age, it is a lot of “no this” and “no that.” The next day we sort the rules by if they are about “Me” “others” or “classroom.” Once that is done, we look at the rules and I ask, “if we shouldn’t (for example) hit or kick people, how should we treat our friends?” We then come up with three to four simple, positively written rules on how we should behave. The last step is signing the rules. Our completed rules list is below.
Our final list of rules
Our original list of rules, colored coded by sorting.
Every week, I’ll be listing what we will be learning by subject. I hope this helps you!
English Language Arts
- Name Recognition
- Introduction of Foundations (our Phonics program)
- Shared Reading of patterned text books, poetry, songs (Ex. Brown Bear, Brown Bear)
- Understanding #1-5
- Listening Skills
- Practicing our classroom rules
Library starts this week! 🙂
Have a great week!