On Friday, we spent the day learning about what the President of the United States does and about the White House. We also learned there’s a painting in the White House with a Nahant connection!
We also learned about the Seal of the President and painted pictures of the Bald Eagle. Did you know we have some fantastic artists in this class?
As the wind howls outside my classroom, here’s what we will be up to this week:
- Writing Folders and Snap to Spell words
- Fundations Unit 2 Week 3
- Shared reading – Non Fiction reading
- Continued work on CVC words (hearing all sounds in words)
- Reading assessment
- The equals symbol
- The addition symbol
- Writing numbers higher than 20
- Beginning Mid year assessment
- Weather Words
- Marine Science Center visit (1/24/17)
- Finish up Changes in Water
- Review of Being a good classroom citizen
leveled high interest readers for children to choose from.
Wow! This week each child went “shopping for books” during literacy centers. They are assigned a specific bucket to choose 3 books from that they will practice with over the next few days. Today, I read with each child individually and, wow! We have readers folks! I am excited to see so many children easily picking up patterns in texts and using picture and sound clues to figure out new words. I hope send home books soon to share with you their progress!
Here’s what we are up to this week:
MLK drawings the kindergarten made last week.
- Differentiated instruction for reading
- Continued phonics work (Fundations Unit 2 Week 3)
- Mini Author Study: Ezra Jack Keats
- Solving Number Stories (up to 10)
- Using a double ten frame
- Continued work with teen numbers
- The Legacy of MLK
- The Inauguration of a New President
We had a busy week back to school and this week is shaping up to be no different! With it being almost the middle of the year (Day 81!) we have raised the bar and are moving forward at a quicker pace. Our students are ready for it, as I have been doing mid-year assessments and see lots of great progress!
What’s more on a Friday than the art easel?
Here’s what we are learning this week…
- Writing words and sentences
- Fundations Unit 2 Week 2
- Jan Brett author study (finish)
- Using razkids.com for guided reading instruction
- Combinations of 10
- Teen partners
- describing shapes in our world
Maybe a Monday afternoon experiment about how rain is made?
- Changes in Water: What is Precipitation and the Water Cycle?
- Dr. Martin Luther King
- Thinking with our eyes/ other people’s perspectives
Remember Professional Day Friday – no students!
Welcome back! It sounds from our whip share this morning at Morning Meeting that everyone had a great holiday and vacation! I only had one school dream over break, and was ready to come back and see everyone today!
Here’s what we will be working on this first week in January…
- Fundations Unit 2 Week 1
- “tapping out” CVC words
- A mini author study of Jan Brett
- Introduction of Number Grid (0-100)
- Introduction of combinations to 10
- Building numbers 5-10
- New Year’s Goals for Kindergarten
- “Thinking with your eyes”
- New science unit – Changes in Water