A great time was had by all at the PTO’s Halloween Bash yesterday afternoon! I’m glad I was able to make it. It was nice to see so many of my students, past and present, and of course their parents too! These types of events are what makes an elementary school experience special. Thank you to everyone who helped organize or volunteered their time on a rainy Saturday. The kids were having a great time!
We are beginning to become readers and writers, which is exciting! The children have been practicing proper penmanship, with daily practice, and we began to add words to our pictures. In November, I will be launching Writer’s Workshop formally.
Here’s what we will be working on this week:
- Concepts of print (parts of a book)
- Pointing to words as we read them
- Halloween poetry and songs
- Fundations Week 7 ( e and r)
- Finishing Unit 2
- Numbers stories with combinations of 5
- Practice with 10 frames
- Halloween math games
- Pumpkin Science experiments!
- Fire Safety
- Halloween safety
Last week, we took time outside to practice our observation skills and drew the tree by the flag pole. Children were asked to look closely and record their observations. Some children drew details in the bark and branches, while others recorded all the different colors of the fall leaves. When we came in, we took a “museum walk,” in which all the children had a chance to look at each other’s drawings and then had a class discussion. The children were not permitted to start their sentence with “I like his/her drawing…” rather, they had to say, “I notice name’s drawing has…” The children enjoyed this lesson a lot! I hope to do it throughout the year as the tree changes.
Our Museum Walk of children’s work.
This week in class we will be focusing on…
- Emerging Reading Skills (point to words, picture clues)
- Fundations week 6 Dd, Ss
- Halloween songs and fingerplays
- Non-fiction texts (Pumpkins)
- Sorting by common attributes
- Math vocabulary for describing shapes
- Introduction of 10 frames
- October is Anti-Bullying Month
- role playing friendship situations
- Using an IPad as a learning tool
- Life Cycle of a Pumpkin
What a fun trip to the apple farm we had! The weather cooperated, we had the place to ourselves and we came home with a GIANT class pumpkin! (THANK YOU Mr. Bozarjian!) The kids were great on the trip, which only means we’ll have to plan another one!
Here’s what we are learning this week…
- Fundations week 5 – a,g
- Using picture clues to read text
- Nursery Rhymes
- Name writing and handwriting practice
- Introduction of simple verbal addition and subtraction
- Introduction to sorting
- rote counting practice (ongoing)
- Schoolyard Science
- weather changes
- observational skills
- Who was Christopher Columbus?
Please remember to sign up as a Mystery Reader!