Our first full day together was wonderful! I am so excited to be working with all your children and ready for a joyful year of learning. They are sweet, smart and caring individuals. Today was about teaching routines and rules. We toured the school, met key personnel like the principal, Mrs. Mulcahy and Mrs. DiLisio, our school nurse. The children had lunch in the cafeteria and played outside in both our “backyard” and out on the primary playground. I introduced a few materials, crayons and floor puzzles to them as well. I open up areas slowly and introduce materials one at a time. While it takes time, it does pay off in the end, and helps with organization for the rest of the year. We will start attending P.E. and Library next week.
Mondays and Wednesdays are our P.E. days. Children need to wear sneakers!
Tuesday is our Library day.
As we move into the Labor Day weekend, I thought would give you a few helpful hints to keep the morning school routine running smoothly. (I’m sure you do many of these things already!)
- Have your child go to bed and wake up at the same time every day.
- Choose and lay out clothes the night before.
- Pack lunches and backpacks the night before.
- Make sure you give your child enough time to complete morning tasks so you are not rushed.
- No media in the morning (TV, video games, etc). Studies show these activities tire the brain and make it harder for children to stay focused during school hours.